Glub, glub! If you’re partying under the sea, learn how to make a fish lantern or two (or three, or five) and add lots of splashy fun to your party!
How to make a Fish Lantern:
You Will Need:
- Round paper lantern (we used a 10-inch lime green one)
- Tulle (as many colors as you like; we used turquoise, pink sparkle, and lime green)
- Hot glue gun
- Clear tape
- Construction paper
Instructions: (Click on images to view full size)
1. Draw and cut a fish mouth out of construction paper. Try different designs!
2. Draw circles for eyes on construction paper, and cut them out. We used the bottom of a craft paint bottle as a tracing guide.
3. Using a marker, color and detail the eyes however you like.
4. Attach the eyes and mouth using hot glue or double-sided tape.
5. To make fins, cut tulle into strips, and bunch it together. We used two 17-inch strips for each fin, and cut them into thirds to make shorter tufts.
6. Trim to the desired length.
7. Wrap the ends with tape to hold them together. If you’re concerned about the tape showing, you can cover it with ribbon or crepe streamer.
8. Glue the fins to the sides of your lantern. (A different option is to cut a small slit in the paper, and push the taped end of the tulle through.)
9. Cut the tulle for the fish tail, and wrap the ends with tape like you did for the fins. Glue the tail to the back of the lantern.
Well, that went swimmingly!
Hang your fish lantern from the ceiling, or use a small bowl as a stand to place it on the table. The guest-of-honor will want this decoration for his or her room after the party!
Check out Birthday Direct’s awesome selection of party supplies that will look perfect with a colorful fish or two:
- Under the Sea
- Shark Friends
- Dolphin Friends
- The Little Mermaid
- Bubble Guppies
- Finding Nemo
- Aloha Summer
- Luau Themes
- Ocean Themes